- 10 min
- 30 min
- 2 dozen
- 500 g (1 lb) of lean ground beef
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) of fine bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 5 mL (1 tsp) of dried thyme
- 5 mL (1 tsp) of dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sufficient quantity of Saputo Mozzarellissima cheese, diced in 1 cm (1/4 in)
- Sufficient quantity of olive oil
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) of commercial medium salsa
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) of ketchup
- 1/2 lime (juice and grated zest)
- In a bowl, place the beef, bread crumbs, egg, onion, garlic, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Combine gently with your hands.
- Using 15 ml (1 tbsp) at a time, shape the mixture into balls and bury one cube of cheese in the middle of each ball.
- In a non-stick skillet, fry the meatballs in hot oil for about 10 minutes, shaking the pan so they brown evenly.
- In a bowl, combine the salsa, ketchup, lime juice and zest.
- Serve the meatballs with cocktail picks for easy dipping.
Tip: You may use lean ground veal or pork instead of beef.
The meatballs may be frozen before cooking. Defrost them a few hours in advance and drain them on paper towels before browning.