- 20 min
- 50 min
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) Saputo butter
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 L (4 cups) 2% milk, heated
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 5 to 6 potatoes, peeled
- 400 g (12 oz) Saputo Triple Cheddar Shredded Cheese
- 1 L (4 cups) fresh spinach, washed
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- To make the béchamel, melt butter in pot set over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and continue whisking until mixture turns into a paste, about 5 minutes (do not let brown).
- Gradually add the milk and continue whisking. Add the nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In a pot set over high heat, bring salted water to a boil. On a working surface, use a mandolin to slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick. Cook in boiling water for 2 minutes. Let cool and strain.
- Spread a small quantity of the béchamel in bottom of oven-safe casserole dish. Place potato slices over the béchamel and pour approximately 1 cup of béchamel over top. Add 1 cup of spinach and a handful of onions.
- Add eggs and repeat step 5 until all the ingredients have been used up, finishing with the Saputo Triple Cheddar Shredded Cheese. Bake in the centre of the oven for 35 minutes.
A recipe inspired by our foodie collaborator, Lynn, from the INGREDIENTS BY SAPUTO X YOU initiative.