- 20 min
- 20 min
3 large eggplants, sliced ½’’ thick
250 g (2 balls) Saputo Mozzarina di Bufala cheese, cut into pieces by hand
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 bunch basil, chopped
2-3 garlic gloves, minced
1 cup bread crumbs
½ cup Saputo Parmesan cheese, grated
½ cup pine nuts
½ cup dried raisins
Salt and pepper
- Let the dried raisins stand in warm water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Slice the eggplants using a knife or a mandolin.
- Drizzle some olive oil on a cookie sheet and place the eggplants onto it. Cook for 20 minutes or until they are almost done. (Alternative: Cook on the BBQ on low heat).
- Meanwhile, prepare the condiment: In a bowl, mix the parsley, basil, garlic, pine nuts, dried raisins, bread crumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove the eggplants from the oven and lightly salt.
- In an oven proof dish, place a few of the eggplant slices next to each other and top with the condiment, a few pieces of the Mozzarina di Bufala cheese, a drizzle of olive oil and another layer of eggplant.
- Repeat the process by covering with the condiment mixture and Mozzarina. The last layer should be covered with eggplant, Mozzarina, a nice drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper and parsley.
- The dish is ready to serve at room temperature, or cold.
- To serve it warm: place in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 350F.
Tip: You can also use grilled frozen eggplants that are ready to serve. Simply remove them from the freezer and warm them up in the oven, or take them out 30 minutes before starting this recipe if you wish to use them right away. This meal is equally delicious served warm or cold, depending on the season. You can cut the Mozzarina cheese with a knife, but tearing it with your hands gives a more rustic look.